Our kitties deserve the best when it comes feeding time. After all, the food you give your cat is what helps her grow from kitten to adult and then keeps her healthy and happy from adult to senior age. However, a lot of us don’t think about what is in the food we give our cats, nor do we compare and contrast different types and brands of cat food.
Perhaps the most important part of choosing a healthy cat food is checking the label and ingredients. Cats are carnivores by nature, so the number one ingredient in any food we give them should be some form of meat. But meat doesn’t give our feline friends all of the nutrients they need, so we need to check for natural add-ins like fruits, vegetables and grains, too. And, on top of that, we need to choose foods that are formulated for the specific age group of our cats to help them maintain a healthy weight.
Healthiest Dry Cat Foods
Dry cat food is more commonly fed because it is usually cheaper and easier to store than wet food. However, dry food does have its downsides because it usually contains a lot of carbohydrates which can lead to weight gain in sedentary cats. Perhaps the best thing is to look for labels that are high in protein and as low as possible in carbohydrates.
Our Top Four Dry Food Picks
- Blue Buffalo Indoor Health Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food (sponsored)—Because this food is designed for indoor cats, it is very low in carbohydrates and uses fresh chicken as its main ingredient, upping the protein for a healthy cat.
- American Journey Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food (sponsored)—Another great choice that’s high in protein, this dry mix is suited for all cat ages.
- Purina Beyond Simply Grain-Free Wild Caught Whitefish & Egg Recipe Dry Cat Food (sponsored)—Another grain-free choice, this dry food is made from fish and eggs with added probiotics for a healthy stomach.
- Purina Cat Chow Complete (sponsored)—For completing the diet of all adult cats, this choice brings chicken and corn infused with tons of vitamins to your kitty’s dish, making for a very happy cat.
Healthiest Wet Foods
Canned cat food is slightly less popular because it tends to cost a bit more than its dry counterparts and it requires refrigeration after opening. However, it can help cats get more water into their diets and it usually provides a well-rounded meal full of protein that makes weight maintenance easy.
Our Top Four Wet Food Picks
- Purina Pro Plan True Nature Entrees (sponsored)—A lot of veterinarians and cat owners alike choose Purina Pro Plan foods because they are made from real, natural meats and are inexpensive.
- Weruva Paw Lickin’ Chicken in Gravy Grain-Free Canned Cat Food (sponsored)—This choice is great for cats of all ages and activity levels, as it balances protein and carbohydrates well. It’s also gluten and grain-free, so it’s easy on the stomachs of kitties with allergies.
- Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau Succulent Chicken (sponsored)—This brand offers a lot of healthy foods for cats, young and old, and we love it because it offers some of the best tastes for our feline friends.
- Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers (sponsored)—This option is great for anyone who has budget constrictions but still wants to purchase wet food, as it offers the same nutrition as some other brands but at a lower price.